Whether you’re extending your property or looking to move your meter, we can help you change your existing gas connection.
Things to think about before you apply:
- Use our postcode checker to find out if we deliver gas to your area. If you want to find out more about your gas supply, the FindMySupplier website is able to give you more information.
- More than one property?: If your application is for more than one property, please use our commercial application form.
- Make sure you have the full address, postcode and phone number of the property.
- Make sure someone will be available to give us access to the property and approve any changes to the job.
- Measure how much pipe is required, as this will affect your quote.
- Include any photos, plans or drawings you think might help.
- Have all planning permission and local authority permits to hand.
- Get consent from anyone whose land the work needs to cross.
- Think about which meter box you might need (check out our Getting Connected guide for more information).
- Get a quick quote: Use our online quote estimate before you start.
- Need to increase the capacity of your gas supply? Find out more at the bottom of this page.
No-one likes hidden costs, so everything is upfront – that’s why you’ll get a quote before you start. After that, it normally takes six to eight weeks for your work to begin.
- The cost. The cost of your alteration will depend on the work that needs to be done, but typically it will not be more than £1,000. Factors that will change your quote include whether you dig your own trench, live above the first floor and how far you are moving your meter. There are more factors below, under ‘bespoke quotes’.
- The time. If you apply for an alteration online and your work is classed as a ‘standard’ job, you’ll get an instant quote. The quote is valid for 60 days from the day it was created and can only be used by the person named on it.
If any of the following apply to you, your application will become 'non-standard' and we will need to carry out a survey to provide you with a bespoke quote. You are still able to apply using the form below.
- You live in a flat on or above the second floor
- You have a heated swimming pool
- You have five bedrooms or more
- You need more than 40 meters of pipe
How to accept and pay
Online quote from our website
If you use our online application form and have a standard application, you can pay straight away using our online payment portal.
- Once you receive your online quote, you can click to accept your quote in your log-in area. This will send you to a payment page where you can pay for the work straight away using our online payment portal.
- If you don’t want to accept the quote and pay immediately, you can log back into our website at a later date and continue the process to accept your quote and pay using our online payment portal.
- As soon as we’ve received your payment we’ll check your quote just to make sure everything is in order. Should there be a problem we’ll contact you straight away to let you know. Otherwise, if everything’s ok we’ll aim to contact you within 7 working days to arrange a date to start the work.
Postal or email quote
- Please complete and return the signed order form which is contained within your quote along with your full payment (if required).
- You can email or post us your signed order form and payment to the address shown on your order form, along with any other documents that may be needed as outlined in your quote e.g. consent form.
- Do you have access to online banking with your bank? If so, a faster and more convenient way to pay for this quote is to use online banking. You can send us your payment by ticking the BACS payment method on your order form and then follow the instructions given to transfer your payment to us.
- If you are using BACS to pay then we’ll still need your signed order form so please remember to send this to us by email or by post, along with any other documents that may be needed as outlined in your quote.
- Once we’ve accepted your order and processed your payment we’ll aim to contact you within 7 working days with the earliest possible start date for you. Our average lead time from planning to work starting is usually 6 to 8 weeks. This may be longer should your work require us to arrange a road closure with the local authority.
How to increase your gas supply (householders)
To increase or decrease the capacity of your domestic gas supply you will need to complete the following steps. Please note you cannot obtain an online quote from our website for this work.
- You will need to complete and submit a GT1 request. Completed GT1 forms should be sent to email@example.com.
- After you have submitted a GT1 request, please complete Section A and D of our domestic application form and submit this to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are a business owner wanting to increase or decrease your gas supply please follow the instructions on our Business Connections page.