We’re supporting Crimestoppers’ national campaign stayenergysafe to highlight the dangers of energy theft and how to spot it.
Tampering with or bypassing the gas meter is extremely dangerous. As well as being dangerous, the cost of energy theft affects us all as it adds an extra £20 to the cost of our energy bills each year.
It can be hard to spot the signs of energy theft, but here are some things to look out for
- A meter that’s been turned around the wrong way so you can’t see the normal dials.
- A smell of gas near the meter box.
- Bits of rubber tubing instead of pipes.
- No visible dial or counter on the meter anymore.
- The meter shows credit has run out but gas is still available.
- Dials on the meter aren’t going around even when gas is being used.
Whether you’re a member of the public, business, landlord or tenant, if you see something suspicious, report signs of energy theft to keep you, and those around you, safe.
To anonymously report energy theft, call Crimestoppers on 0800 023 2777 or report it online.