Our compensation process depends on your particular circumstances. Please read the following carefully to find out if you need to make an application as some compensation is awarded automatically.
In the event of an incident, we do everything we can to restore gas supplies as quickly as possible. However, after the first 24 hours, affected householders will be compensated for time without gas. You will receive £60 for each 24-hour period without gas, which is paid automatically through your gas supplier. Small businesses will receive £100 for each 24-hour period without gas, which will also be paid automatically through your gas supplier.
Small businesses affected by planned streetworks
For business customers only, compensation can be claimed for loss of gross profit and not loss of takings, subject to your claim meeting the criteria in The Gas (Street Works) (Compensation of Small Business) Regulations 1996. To find out if you qualify, please complete our online business compensation form.
Before you apply for business compensation, to save you time and ensure you are eligible to apply, please ensure the following:
- SGN engineering work must have lasted continuously for at least 28 days.
- Annual turnover in aggregate must be less than £1 million at 1996 prices (£1.918 million for 2020/21). The annual turnover figure includes not only the business affected by our work but also the turnover of any associated businesses of the same type, operating from different premises.
- The claimed loss of gross profit must be at least 2.5% of annual turnover (the minimum claim is £500).
- The initial written indication of your intention to claim must be submitted within three months of the completion of SGN engineering works.
- Supporting evidence including financial statements and documentation must be submitted within six months of completion of engineering works.
- A statement of the calculated loss of profit that you wish to claim.