We have an important role to play in combatting fuel poverty, working together with our partner organisations to identify households affected and provide funded connections to the gas network under our Help to Heat scheme.
We partner with local authorities and frontline organisations to connect homes in the south of England and across Scotland to our network. Partners check eligibility and refer qualified households to us for a funded first-time gas connection.
Becoming a SGN Ofgem approved partner
We partner with organisations under the Ofgem approved partner programme.
This programme allows us to build partnerships with organisations, who we submit to Ofgem for approval. We must demonstrate that we have processes in place to ensure partners conduct means testing to decide eligibility, and can provide evidence to show how they have assessed that gas is the best solution for a household. We are also required by Ofgem to use reasonable endeavours to ensure that our partners act in a legitimate manner.
Our partners must ensure funds are targeted at fuel poor and vulnerable customers and establish whether a household qualifies for the fuel poor network extension scheme:
- Eligible for ECO 3 including Eco Flex or fuel poor by local definition.
- Gas is the best solution.
- Funds are available for in house works.
Eligible households can be referred directly for a voucher funded connection.
If your organisation is interested in becoming a SGN partner, please download and complete an application form.
Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com. Our team will review and submit your application to Ofgem for approval.
Submission Process for SGN Ofgem approved partners
For partners requesting a new funded gas connection, the results from the SGN Eligibility Checker should be submitted, along with the Help to Heat declaration form. The SGN Eligibility Checker allows us to make sure the correct eligibility has been selected.
Other ways to help
If you’re a local authority or a voluntary organisation who could help us spread the word, please get in touch by emailing our Help to Heat team.
You can also email us to request copies of our Help to Heat leaflet for your community.
Together, we can make a real difference to families living in fuel poverty.
Why is gas the right choice for heating homes?
- Gas is the fuel of choice for households in Great Britain, meeting the heating needs of almost 85% of homes.
- Homes without mains gas are twice as likely to be fuel poor .
- It’s cheaper to heat a house with gas than electricity – about three to four times cheaper. Gas costs around 4.1p per kWh on average , whereas electricity costs around 17.3p per kWh .
- Our network has a vital part to play in the UK’s future net-zero energy system and we’re decarbonising the gas that flows through our network. Find out more about the future of our network.
 Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy – Annual Fuel Poverty Statistics Report, June 2019.
 Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy – Average variable unit costs and fixed costs for electricity for GB regions, December 2019
 Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy –Average variable unit costs and fixed costs for gas for GB regions, December 2019)